Thursday, April 9, 2009

How do they stay in business??

I have a free moment, so I thought I would put this out, mainly because of frustration. About a year ago, the company I work for, moved our old system, which really consisted of about 4 different systems to one. This in turn was suppose to streamline how we built customer's services and billing. It hasn't, as a matter of fact, this one system is worse than the 4 we had before. The latest issue I have been dealing with for 8 hrs a day, the last two weeks, is when I build out a system for a customer, only half of it is being built. We started noticing this a few weeks back, when the tech was on site to install a Fiber to the Home customer, there were no services there. This new system should have built all services to the customers premise, in fact it use to. So I was given the task to find out why, I have gone through this database as far as I could and could find no reason why this was happening. Today, there are 5 VP's from the company that sold us trying to staighten out known issues. Problem, the more they dig the more problems are arising. Our GM has already told them if they cannot fix it, we will be going else where, at there cost. They are will aware we have not gotten out of this system what we paid for, roughly $750,000. I did find for what I am working on, someone in their company removed a module, necessary to bind equipment placed at residence, which in turn flags it so it will build correctly. The tech I have been dealing with said once we stopped using this new system this way, these Fiber installs stopped flowing correctly. I explained to him we have no control over what modules are used or not. He could not answer my question after that, much to the displeasure of the VP that was listening in on our conversation. I think this company needs Matt and Gabe to go and fix there issues.

1 comment:

matt said...

Sounds like a pretty bad situation. I've seen stuff like this happen when some manager or sales person makes a promise or explains how their product works without actually understanding how their product works. Then when it's time to implement it, they let the engineers know what it is that they have been asked to do. Sometimes there are work-arounds and sometimes there are not, either way it makes the engineer look bad.