Thursday, April 30, 2009

Woohoo, I am not typical....

I went in yesterday for my annual testing to be on the Transplant List. Originally, a year ago, they told me this testing would take up to 6 weeks to complete. It took me not even a day. Anyhow I learned many things yesterday that somewhat gave me a brighter look on things. I already try to look at the bright side of it, but this made it even brighter. Because I have had two transplants and multiple blood transfusions, I have a high Antibody count which makes me a very difficult match. But because of this, I am tested more frequently than someone on there first. Which means I am at the top of the list. The RN at the transplant center told me she knew of at least 6 times I was tested, but there were even more times that she said, she would not be aware of. To me that really shows a light at the end of the tunnel.
The other things we talked of, which really had nothing to do with the list. She told me I didn't look or act like a typical dialysis patient. I thanked her for that, but made me start thinking of what she thought was typical. Most patients just look sick, usually from underlying illness, such as diabetes, lupus and others. Most people when they are told they have to go on dialysis, or that they have some disease, give up. They quit their jobs and live off the government. Since I do not have any underlying and I grew up like this, I really couldn't fathom the idea of giving up my job. I think the more time you have to think about something like this, the worse off you will be. It is a medical fact, the brighter outlook you have, the better the chances you will have at overcoming your medical condition. I know it is probably hard to do for many people, but I have seen people with brighter outlooks do much better than those who don't. How would you react? I hope and pray no one ever has to find out, but don't you think it is better to be somewhat prepared in your thinking before something does happen??

1 comment:

Queen Mum said...

I am glad that you are thinking in a positive way--that really is very important for any health issue. I, too, have a high antibody count; but mine is due to numerous births. Something to think about.