Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What bothers me!!!

I am back on HemoDialysis now, where I have to go to a clinic 3 times a week. What bothers me is there's a man who is deaf and almost completely blind on dialysis now. For the most part he is an ideal patient. He sleeps through most of his treatment, but when he needs something he gives out a loud grunt. What bothers me, are the dialysis techs and some other patients make fun of him, because they cannot understand him and his sign language. I think being a professional and dealing with people and their handicaps, these people would be a little more understanding. Especially the nurse who is on Dialysis, who works for Ft. Worths Public Health
Dept. would be more understanding. Makes me appreciate the parents of mine who taught me to look past physical appearance and see what a person is made of.

5 comments:

Queen Mum said...

Unfortunately, that does make the nurse(s) look unprofessional and tacky. You should set an example, without saying anything (your care is in jeopardy, maybe, if you tick them off). I think they are taking advantage of his deafness to vent some of their own frustrations. No excuse, though.

pappasan said...

Luckily the nurse who is on Dialysis is not a Dialysis nurse, so I could say something to her about it. I just think that being in the medical profession, whether it be a doctor,nurse, or medical assistant, or whatever, it is very unprofessional and the facility needs to know about it.

Laura said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and not just because I have the most huge soft spot in the world for the Deaf community. I think it must make Heavenly Father very sad =(.

pappasan said...

I actually thought about you L, when I first saw this man. I really wish I knew sign language so I could communicate with people like this. Nothing seems wrong with him, except the fact he is on Dialysis. He is so happy when he gets off the machine and he is able to grab his walker. He laughs about it, which thinking, he must really like the fact that he is free again. LOL

Laura said...

lol I bet he does like his freedom. I think deaf older people who use sign language to communicate are the coolest! I can't imagine living that long and seeing signs change over time, and seeing how far Deaf rights have come. Lol sorry - I told ya - a soft spot lol. Is he always there when you are there? You should write out a note that says "have a great day!" and tape it to his walker when you go in =).